Please view the document section under the "students" tab to find important information and handouts throughout the year.
Please view your email for updates regarding the school closures and all orchestra events. Please update your email via Charms if you have not received and email yet.
Online Orchestra will begin on Monday, March 23, 2020. This first week will be used for students to become accustomed to the online process without begin penalized with grades. Please use this week to familiarize yourself with this new process and ask any questions. My office ours are from 8:30-9:30 am and 3-4 pm. Please contact me via email and you should receive a response within 15 minutes (if not instantly) if you are contacting me during office hours.
The students will utilize three technology sources to receive grades once the district has decided to begin assigning grades again:
1. Practice records will be logged through Canvas. Each day, the student must login to Canvas and complete the Canvas Quiz for the day. The Canvas Quiz will ask the student how many minutes they practiced and what they practiced. Students need to do this daily as this quiz not only counts as their practice record but also as attendance for the class on a daily basis. You cannot wait until the end of the week to log practice time for the whole week. You may also not enter practice time in early. Students must login in each day to log their practice time. Students who practice over the weekend should add that time to the following Monday.
2. Video Submission of playing their instruments: At the end of the week, the students will submit a video via the MMJH orchestra website. The first video assignment will be due on Friday, April 3rd and will be due each Friday until school resumes. All students have submitted videos through the website multiple times this year and were previously trained in class. Instructions to submit online can be found in the document section under the Student tab on the orchestra website. The assigned music (what should be on the video) will be posted on Canvas each Monday in the assignment section. This is what the student should be practicing throughout the week.
3. How do we learn the music? Students will use the SmartMusic software to help them learn the music as needed. SmartMusic is offering free subscriptions until the end of June. There is no cost involved. Instructions on how to sign up will be included in an email sent out on Sunday, March 22nd and will be posted on the MMJH webpage.
Instruction for setting up a SmartMusic account are below:
1. Go to www.SmartMusic.com
2. Click on "login" in the upper right hand corner. Important: Do not click on "Get Started". That is for teachers only
3. Choose the picture on the left (New Smart Music)
4. A login box will appear. On the bottom of the login box, choose "I'm a student, I need to join a class".
5. Enter your school email address. It is important to use your school email address since this may be linked to Canvas in the future. Do not use a personal email address.
6. Enter the class code for your orchestra:
FYO class code: ME4PW-NAQE7
Sinfonia class code: KG6M3-RUQGG
Advanced class code: 2UJ2E-6TFUY
Camerata class code: JPPR2-2YTXE
7. Click on "Join the Class"
8. Fill out the necessary information. Those younger than 13 will need to have a parent complete this for them. Use your student ID for your username and your school password when you are creating this account.
9. click on "Submit"
10. You should receive a notice that says "Account created Successfully! It will then tell you to go to your email to activate your account.
11. Open your school email and find the email from smart music.
12. Click on "Confirm your email"
13. This will redirect you back to SmartMusic and prompt you to login again. Type in your email address and password.
14. You are now ready to use SmartMusic.
I have created a video tutorial on how to create a SmartMusic account which I will posted below as well as on Canvas. I will create and send another video with instructions on how to navigate through SmartMusic.
Click on the link below to learn how to set up a SmartMusic account. You will need to be logged in through your KatyISD google account to view the video tutorials.
Click on the link below to see a video that will help you navigate through SmartMusic. You will need to be logged in through your KatyISD google account to view the video tutorials.